from Backend Engineer at 2359 Media
"About how Sphinx can be used to create modern API documentation that is beautiful, easy-to-edit, integrated with postman, and with deployment flexibility"
API documentation acts as a reference for your teammates, especially for those who will implementing it. So in a successful collaboration team, API documentation plays a big role as a communication medium.
My objective of this talk is to give another perspective on how Sphinx, a Python library, can be used as an alternative to existing popular API documentation tools such as Swagger.
1. Introduction to API documentation (7 mins):
- The importance of API doc
- Components of killer API doc
- Comparison of existing API doc tools
2. Introduction to Sphinx (3 mins)
3. Create modern API Doc with Sphinx (20 mins):
- Setup and installation
- Working with theme
- Manage your endpoints with Sphinx directive
- Create API explorer using jQuery
4. Bonus: integrate your API Doc with Postman collection (5 mins)
5. Q&A (5 mins)